Rob Anderson

December 26th, 2009


THE CHRISTMAS EVE MIRACLE MISTAKE - Georgetown couple wins $128.6 million Powerball jackpot

A Christmas Eve mistake has led to the largest lottery jackpot in Kentucky history being won by a Georgetown couple.

Rob Anderson, his wife Tuesday and a collection of family members came to Kentucky Lottery headquarters in Louisville today with their winning ticket, which was a $3 Quick Pick. They have not chosen whether or not to take the lump sum or 30 year annuity. They have 60 days to make that decision.

Christmas Eve day started for 39 year-old Rob just like it did for many people – rushing around to buy last-minute Christmas gifts. “I was on my way to the Wal-Mart on Highway 62 in Georgetown to pick up some presents,” said Rob. “I saw the Pro Travel Marathon on my way to Wal-Mart, so I thought I’d swing in and get a couple of lottery tickets as stocking stuffers.”

“I needed to get gifts for three people, so I thought I’d get three single $1 Powerball tickets to put in their stockings,” Rob continued. “I told the clerk what I wanted, and instead he mistakenly printed one ticket with three lines of numbers that cost $3. I told him it was a mistake, but I decided to just keep the ticket and get the three others I needed.”

The clerk printed those tickets, and Rob went on to complete his holiday shopping. When he went home later that evening he threw the $3 ticket on the nightstand in his bedroom, not paying much attention to it as it wasn’t what he usually played. “I always pick my own numbers based on important dates, and I buy a $1 Powerball ticket and a $1 Win For Life ticket every Wednesday and Saturday,” Rob said.

On the Sunday morning after the drawing (December 27), Rob checked the winning numbers on his DirectTV system and knew they weren’t any of the ones he usually picked. That’s when he remembered the $3 ticket on his nightstand.

“As I was walking down the hall with the ticket, it seemed like with every step I took I realized I’d matched another number. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. When I finally realized all of the numbers matched, I could only think of one thing to yell to my wife –

“Oh damn, I think we’ve hit the lottery!”

Still not believing what he was seeing, Tuesday called her father and asked him to read back the winning Powerball numbers. “Tuesday then told him he’d better get over to our house fast,” Rob said.

In the eleven days since the drawing, Rob has taken the time to meet with an attorney to decide how best to move forward. “It’s really important to me that we stay grounded through this process. I’d thought in the past about what I’d do if this ever happened to us, but the odds just seemed so long that I never thought it would occur.”

Rob said the first few nights after the big win were sleepless, and he’d been taking the rest of the time “day by day. My nerves were shot, and I drank a few beers to help calm me down.” The ticket was kept in a safe.

As for the future, Rob says he and Tuesday haven’t made any concrete plans but have looked at some pieces of property and a few new vehicles. One thing they’ve both talked about is their new-found wealth will allow them to go back to school to further their education.

“I guess finance might be a good major to have,” Rob laughed.