The Winning Tickets
**Coney Market in Lonaconing, Maryland (Allegany County)**sold a jackpot-winning ticket worth $731.1millionforthe January 20, 2021Powerball drawing. The store will receive a $100,000 bonus from the Maryland Lottery for selling the jackpot-winning ticket.
In addition, a second-tier winning ticket with the PowerPlay option worth $2 million was also sold at AC&T #130 in Hagerstown. The store will receive a $5,000 bonus from the Maryland Lottery for selling the ticket.
The Jackpot Prize
The estimated annuity value of $731.1million is the fourth-largest in Powerball history and the sixth-largest in U.S.lottery history.
It is by far the largest prize in the Maryland Lottery's history, easily outdistancing the $218.6 million share of a $656 million Mega Millions jackpotclaimed anonymously by The Three Amigosin the March 30, 2012 drawing. The estimated cash value of the prize is $546 million.
The jackpot winner has the choice to take the $731.1 million paid in 30 graduated payments over 29 years; or the $546.8 million lump sum payment. The annuity payments increase by 5% each year. All amounts are before taxes and are estimates based on ticket sales and interest rates. Federal withholding tax is 24%. Maryland state withholding tax is 8.95%.
There were 13second-tier prizes won in the January 20, 2021 Powerball drawing, including one ticket sold in Maryland with the Power Play option, which doubled the prize to $2 million.
The 12prizes of $1 million each were won in: California (2), Georgia (2), Illinois (2), Maine, Michigan, New Jersey(3)and Oregon. Prizes in California are paid on a pari-mutuel basis and differ from the fixed prize amounts.
The Winner and the Claims Process
Lottery winners in Maryland have the right to remain anonymous and have at least 182 days to claim the prize. Lottery claiming deadlines (typically 182 days) have been extended during Maryland's COVID-19 state of emergency. Any ticket that reaches its expiration date while the state of emergency remains in effect can still be redeemed for up to 30 days after the date that the state of emergency is lifted.
What Comes Next
As soon as possible, we will email you with additional information, including the name and location of the retailers that sold the jackpot-winning ticket and $2 million winning ticket, and details on interview opportunities with Maryland Lottery Director Gordon Medenica.
Noteworthy Facts and Figures
This is the first Powerball jackpot hit in Maryland sincea $108.8 million prizeclaimed anonymously in the September 7, 2011 drawing.
The last Powerball jackpot hit came in New York in the September 16, 2020 drawing. Wednesday night's drawing was the 36th since then, making this the longest jackpot roll in Powerball history.
The $731.1million jackpot is the fourth-largest in Powerball history. The top 10 are:
- $586 billion, January 13, 2016 in California, Florida and Tennessee
- $768.4 million, March 27, 2019 in Wisconsin
- $758.7 million, August 23, 2017 in Massachusetts
- **$731.1million, January 20, 2021 in Maryland**
- $687.8 million, October 27, 2018 in Iowa and New York
- $590.5 million, May 18, 2013 in Florida
- $585 million, November 28, 2012 in Arizona and Missouri
- $564.1 million, February 11, 2015 in North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas
- $557 million, January 6, 2018 in New Hampshire
- $487.0 million, July 30, 2016 in New Hampshire
The $731.1million jackpot is the sixth-largest in U.S. lottery history. The top 10 are:
- $586 billion, January 13, 2016, Powerball in California, Florida and Tennessee
- $1.537 billion, October 23, 2018, Mega Millions in South Carolina
- **$970 million (est.), January 22, 2021, Mega Millions drawing**
- $768.4 million, March 27, 2019, Powerball in Wisconsin
- $758.7 million, August 23, 2017, Powerball in Massachusetts
- **$731.1million, January 20, 2021, Powerball in Maryland**
- $688 million, October 27, 2018, Powerball in Iowa and New York
- $656 million, March 30, 2012, Mega Millions in Kansas, Illinois and Maryland
- $648 million, December 17, 2013, Mega Millions in California and Georgia
- $590.5 million, May 18, 2013, Powerball in Florida